While sharing the exciting details of my first pregnancy with you, I was forced to take a break a few weeks ago due to extreme fatigue. As I said in my introduction to “Journey Through Motherhood”, there will always be ups and downs, unbelievable excitement, challenges, achievements and unexpected adventures along the way. And I can tell you that this statement rings true each and every single day.
In addition to my two jobs and my two little girls, the past couple of months have proven to be a tad strenuous. My 20 month old picked up a little flu a few weeks earlier and apart from the daytime when she seems absolutely fine, she kept on coughing and crying on a nightly basis for well over a week. To top it all off…. All she wanted was mommy. The result: mommy did not get much sleep. She got over it but I was left feeling completely drained and void of energy, unable to concentrate, and as tired as I was, unable to fall asleep at night.
When it became unbearable and I was completely unable to function I sought my doctor’s help. After a complete physical, some blood tests, an ultrasound and a little chat, my doctor told me that it seems I may be expecting twins. My eyeballs almost popped out of my head!
My response: “Excuse me. Beg your pardon. What did you just say?”
Never mind that I am apparently pregnant, but twins? This was certainly a surprise.
The doctor repeated herself and pointed to the screen. I was shown two clearly formed gestational sacs. I thought “Wow”. She further explained that she is usually a bit cautious about confirming twins this early as so many different things could happen during the first trimester. This apparently was the reason for the extreme fatigue that had literally crippled me over the past month and a half.
There was nausea, vomiting and a pinched nerve during my first pregnancy. My second one was a breeze until almost the end, in fact, I did not even know I was pregnant until I started eating everything in sight, and my belly started to grow – well into the second trimester. Now this one has been highlighted thus far with extreme fatigue. Wow!
Fraternal Twins…. A surprise indeed!
The one thing I do know for sure now is that each pregnancy is definitely different!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.