Friday, July 16, 2010

‘The Quickening’

I was about eighteen weeks along in my pregnancy and during my monthly checkup the ultrasound showed my baby as being about 3-4 ounces in weight and approximately 4 ¾ inches long from head to rump. I explained to my doctor that during the past couple of days that I had been experiencing some weird goings-on that felt like about half dozen butterflies having a party in my stomach. He pointed out that I could possibly be experiencing what was referred to as ‘quickening’ or the first recognition of movement by the fetus – showing signs of life. He further explained that as the baby grows and puts on more weight the movements, or what we refer to as kicks, will get stronger and more organized. I was a bit surprised since my pregnancy books said that first time moms don’t really have that experience until around the 29th week or so.

I thought ‘WOW’. There is a little human growing inside of me. At the moment I forgot about all the weight I had gained and the entire pregnancy thing took on an even more intense significance… there was life inside of me. What a Blessing! There was a little boy or girl letting me know that he or she was alive and needed lots of love. It was unbelievable. I was awe-struck for days.

Deep in my ‘mother-to-be’ bliss I wondered how anyone could have the heart to even contemplate abortion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.