My aim is to share my personal experiences as an ANTIGUAN mother, wife and entrepreneur. WADADLI MAMA - "My Journey Through Motherhood” will give a profound account of the ups and downs, the unbelievable excitement, the challenges, the achievements and the unexpected adventures related to the mystical and fulfilling everyday life of a Christian mom.
Friday, July 16, 2010
‘My First Prenatal Checkup’
I sat on the most comfortable couch in the air-conditioned waiting area, waiting to see the OB/GYN. Anxious and still in a state of disbelief, I read everything in sight… magazines, flyers, brochures, everything that had the words ‘mother’, ‘baby’ or ‘pregnant’ on it. I was even more amazed at the other expecting parents in the room, the looks on their faces, their conversations and their general demeanor. Within minutes, my husband showed up after finally finding a parking spot somewhere in town. We had to wait another good hour since the doctor was called to the hospital for an emergency. Well, I had no intentions of leaving. I had my list of a million and one questions and I wanted to make sure the pregnancy was viable. I waited.
My turn finally came and we went in. After the introductions and detailed discussions regarding my medical history, the doctor offered counseling on what we should expect, what was required, and the do’s and the don’ts. A trans-vaginal ultrasound and the physical exam, added to the blood pregnancy test confirmed that I was indeed expecting and was approximately six weeks along. The doctor concluded that the pregnancy appeared to be viable. I could not help but grin from ear to ear at the sight of the little ‘blimp’ on the screen thumping … the baby’s heartbeat. There was human life growing inside of me.
A few more lab tests were needed. I was advised to take materna (prenatal vitamins) and return in exactly four weeks for a follow-up. My doctor suggested that I visit as many sites on the internet, and read as much as I could. He told me to remember to keep a writing pad handy and jot down any questions I may have for the next visit.
Two hours later, we left the doctors office with our first photo of our unborn child. Wow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.